Tuesday, February 14, 2012

UConn Men's Lacrosse Season Preview Featured on the N.E. Lacrosse Blog

The New England Lacrosse Blog (http://nelaxblog.com) is featuring a multi-part series previewing the upcoming season for UConn.  At this link you can find Part 1:

http://nelaxblog.com/blog/2012/02/14/uconn-huskies-striving-to-be-top-dog-in-pcll/

In PCLL news you may have already heard that Boston University has announced that they will elevate their Men's Lacrosse team to Division 1 status:

http://www.bu.edu/today/2012/new-sports-field-coming-to-west-campus/

I am sure many of us have fond memories of playing BU over the years.  My personal favorite was the 4 overtime game in 2005 under the lights on spring weekend.  The obviously rowdy crowd grew restless the longer the game went on, I can remember vividly one fan constantly screaming "Hurry up and win I want to go drink!".  As the game went on one reality hit me, the lights were on a timer set by the athletic department to go off at 9:30pm, and I had no way to extend them.  I recall speaking to the referees between the 3rd and 4th overtime explaining to them that the lights were going to go off in 8 minutes and there was nothing I could do about it.  They looked at me dumbfounded, the BU coach overheard our conversation and jumped on the situation "They will have to forfeit right?" he asked the refs, the ref just shrugged and blew his whistle and the 4th OT began.  I swear that for the first half of that 4th OT BU played stall ball hoping the lights would go out. Finally we got  that ball on a breakaway and Scott Copertino split several defenders and took a bounce shot that went into the goal.  Probably not 5 seconds after the goal was scored, as the team jumped on Scott, the lights went out.